I am an experienced development manager having worked in a variety of industries. I have a proven track record of delivering scalable software solutions in highly regulated markets. I encourage developers to write better code and promote a disciplined approach to engineering focusing on clean software that is well documented and well tested. I believe in predictability over speed; automating everything; and breaking projects down in to testable, demonstrable, and achievable units.
I am looking for a role where I can
- Serve as hiring manager and build up teams, either co-located or abroad
- Ensure the development process encourages review, testing, and accountability without obstructing developers
- Define and breakdown project work while working closely with product and architecture
- Drive security improvements and work to reduce technical debt
- Ensure the tools and infrastructure are in place so developers can be productive and not struggle with difficult to manage build processes and unpredictable environments
- Reduce the need for bespoke code and encourage adoption of industry standard solutions to common problems with the use of appropriate tools and design patterns
- Challenge existing practices and code paradigms
- Improve operational support by driving improvements in logging, monitoring, and incident management
In this role I oversew development teams in London, Athens, and Bangalore. I had line management and mentoring responsibilities for four to six Technical Leads and Senior Developers who in turn managed four to six reports each. In addition to project work, I was responsible for incident management and meeting SLAs. I worked closely with our Product, QA, Dev Ops, and Architecture teams to ensure that work was properly defined, there was an agreed technical solution, and we had a plan to test and deliver the software with minimal risk. Our platform handled 30,000 bets per minute peak and served large customers such as Sky Vegas and Lotto Quebec.
Responsibilities including managing a team of four to six developers, performing code reviews, maintaining documentation, signing-off on design choices, and providing development estimates.
Responsibilities including developing new functionality, writing unit and integration tests, maintaining documentation, and mentoring junior team members.
I lived in Verona, Italy and travelled extensively in Europe. I worked on some freelance projects, as an elementary school teacher, and as an assistant videographer and photographer on and off.
Lead Software Engineer of an ERP platform that supported inventory, logistics, purchases and sales operations across multiple locations.
Software Engineer working closely alongside contracted engineers from Samsung to integrate a new ERP platform into the business. In addition to development work to customise the product I took part in white boarding business flows with key business stake-holders.
Entry level part-time position (while attending University) where I worked on an inventory and sales management platform written on a LAMP stack.